Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu

What to Do after You’ve Been Injured on the Job

If you have been subject to a workplace injury, the first thing you need to do is consult an attorney. In order to receive workers’ compensation benefits, a claim will need to be filed.

What should you do if you have been subject to a work-related injury?

Workplace injuries are very common, and can be just as stressful on employees. Investigating workers’ compensation laws and filing the appropriate paperwork for work-injury claims can be a real burden, and often puts people in awkward situations. If you have been injured on the job, do not think for one second that nothing can be done. Companies are required by law to maintain workers’ compensation insurance to cover the expenses associated with work-related injuries. To avoid getting into legal issues and to secure your benefits, be sure to call a workers’ compensation attorney as soon as possible.

Many people tend to think of accidents on construction sites when the term is mentioned, but this is misleading. For instance, did you know that you can receive workers’ compensation benefits for the development of carpal tunnel syndrome if you are employed in a clerical position? The most important thing to remember is that not seeking legal advice in a timely manner could be the worst thing you do.

Who is entitled to workers’ compensation benefits?

Workers’ compensation covers everyone who works for a business with three or more employees, not just employees who receive a payroll check. Even if you receive a 1099 from your employer, you could still be entitled to benefits. Many businesses try to cut their insurance premium costs by classifying workers as subcontractors. The difference between an employee and a subcontractor is often a grey area, but Courts have established guidelines that help determine a worker’s employment status. Ultimately, the goal is determine whether an employer-employee relationship exists. If you have been injured on the job, call a workers’ compensation attorney immediately to investigate and analyze your rights.

What steps should you take?

The first thing you need to do after being injured is to notify your supervisor. You have 30 days, by law, to give notice of your work accident, but it is in a person’s best interest to do so as soon as possible. Failure to provide adequate notice could result in the denial of workers’ compensation benefits. Your employer should then provide you with a list of physicians that are covered under the company’s workers’ compensation plan. Be sure to track in detail the amount of time you are missing from work, as well as travel to and from your medical appointments. This information will be useful once your claim is filed. Contact an experienced workers’ compensation attorney to protect your rights and insure you receive all benefits to which you are entitled.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn